Lesley and Mitchell from the Children in Care Council updated the Panel on the following recent activity at the Children in Care Council:
· Funding had been secured for older care leavers to be involved in a ‘Positive Relationships’ project to raise awareness of the many different forms of abuse through peer-led workshops in schools.
· Work is taking place with the Virtual Head’s team to increase the participation of young people in how pupil premium is spent.
· Younger members of the CiCC held their first ‘face to face’ meeting at which they developed artwork for the Full Circle service. Further meetings are being planned.
· The young people have supported the launch of the ‘Mind of my own’ app and launched the first in a series of podcasts called ‘We are no different’, focusing on young people’s experiences of the care system.
· The first police training session is being developed, facilitated by the young people.
· Peer mentoring training is being offered to young people in children’s homes, with several young people expressing an interest in becoming mentors to the younger children. One young person from Coxhoe Children’s Home has been making a very positive contribution to the CiCC meetings and has been particularly proactive in the peer mentoring programme.
The Chair thanked Robert, Lesley and Mitchell for their presentation and perspective which is always very much appreciated by the Panel.