The Committee considered a report of the Chief Internal Auditor and Corporate Fraud Manager (Interim) which presented the Protecting the Public Purse Update Report for 2020/21 (for copy see file of Minutes).
The report provided an update on the following:
· The work of the Corporate Fraud Team;
· Action taken to raise awareness of the risk of fraud and corruption to assist in embedding a strong counter fraud culture throughout the organisation;
· Reported cases of potential fraud and irregularity reported during 2020/2021;
· Proactive Counter Fraud work completed;
· Progress on the Council’s participation in the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) 2020/2021;
· Fraud Reporting;
· Fraud Training;
· Covid-19 Frauds;
In response to a question from Councillor Ormerod, the Chief Internal Auditor and Corporate Fraud Manager (Interim) confirmed that the Blue Badge fraud was mainly the abuse of others using the badge.
Mr Rudd asked if the team were working with the DSS and if an employee had protection via the whistleblowing policy. The Chief Internal Auditor and Corporate Fraud Manager (Interim) confirmed that the team did work with the Department for Works and Pensions in terms of any fraud identified in relation to Housing benefit and other welfare benefits. He also confirmed that there was a level of protection for employees in the whistleblowing arrangements that were in place and communicated / promoted to staff and members.
That the contents of the report be noted.